Alexandros Karakitis is the founder of the Karakitis Tax & Law and is responsible for the relationship with the clients and the services delivered. Before establishing this firm, he had been leading the tax services of Karageorgiou & Associates Law Firm. The two firms are now working with each other in the areas of their expertise.
Alexandros had been a tax partner of EY from 2007 until 2015 and has more than 20 years of experience in the tax profession, which was built by working from 1997 to 2002 as tax consultant and eventually tax manager at Arthur Andersen, from 2002 until 2015 as senior manager and tax partner of Ernst & Young and since 2015 as independent tax law practitioner.
He holds a Dr. iuris degree on International Tax Law from the Eberhard Karls University of Tübingen, a post-graduate degree on European Law from the University of Saarland and a law degree from the Aristoteles University of Thessaloniki. He is admitted to the Supreme Court of Greece. He speaks fluently Greek, English and German.
During the last 20 years Alexandros has provided advisory and litigation services to several multinational companies as well as to individuals. He led in Greece and Southeastern Europe tax projects for prominent MNCs, mainly belonging to the Oil & Gas, Pharma, Consumer Products, Telecommunications & Media, Real Estate and Asset Management sectors. He coordinated major regional M&A and transfer pricing documentation projects and managed tax disputes leading to the revocation of tax assessments/refund of taxes assessed of millions of Euro.
He has served as the Tax & Law Leader of EY Bulgaria (2007-2009), Country Managing Partner of EY Albania, FYROM and Kosovo (2009-2015), and EY Central & Southeastern Europe and Greece’s Transfer Pricing Leader (2013-2015).
- The tax treatment of enterprises with permanent establishments in Germany and Greece in the light of the double taxation treaty between Germany and Greece, dissertation published in German and in Greek,1995
- Direct taxation: Not a terra incognita any more for the EU law, article at: Deltio Forologikis Nomothesias, 1997
- Merger with a loss-making company, article at: Synigoros, 1999
- Tax-free the distribution of profits to EU parents, article at: Deltio Forologikis Nomothesias,1999
- The taxation of the gain from the transfer of a going concern Vs. the transfer of an intangible asset, article at: Dikaio ton Epiheiriseon kai Etaireion, 2002
- The new tax regime of Shared Service Centers in Greece, article co-authored with Aliki Lambropoulou at: Tax Notes International, 2006
- Survey on the Implementation of the Merger Directive in Bulgaria, study for the European Commission, co-authored with Atanas Mihaylov and Julian Mihov, 2009
- Griechisches Steuerrecht, co-authored with Vetta Zournatzidi at: Beck’s Steuerberater-Handbuch 2010/2011
- Country input -Albania- in the Global Venture Capital and Private Equity Country Attractiveness Index, 2011
- Albania: Tranfer Pricing-a risk management challenge for investors in Albania, article co-authored with Anisa Jasini, at: International Tax Review, 2011
- Arbitrating and Mediating Disputes-contribution to the country update section-Albania, provided jointly with Jonida Lakuriqi, IFC publication, 2013
- The debate over the fair share of tax, at: Naftemporiki newspaper, 2014
- MNEs and recent Income Tax Reform in Greece, at: Business Partners, 2014
- Lack of clarity regarding the 26% withholding tax on transactions, at: Kathimerini newspaper, 2015
- How European Law is violated, article at: Kathimerini newspaper of 31.07.2016
- The intercompany transactions target of the tax audit authorities, article at: Kathimerini newspaper of 06.08.2017
- Apple, the EU Commission and the tax cooperation, article at: Kathimerini newspaper of 13.08.2017.
- Transfer pricing developments and challenges in Southern Europe- panelist at the 2008 and 2014 European Transfer Pricing Forum of EY in Barcelona and Venice respectively
- Albania-Moving beyond the challenges- presentation at the Hellenic-Albanian Business Forum, Tirana, 2011
- Challenges and prospects in the current economic environment: Services and Trade Sectors-panelist at the Hellenic-Albanian Business Forum, Tirana, 2012
- Tax treaties from a private sector point of view-presentation at the IFC Conference for the Tax Administrations of Western Balkan countries, Sarajevo, 2013
- Upcoming developments on transfer pricing- presentation at the Tax Symposium of EY Albania, Tirana 2014
- The OECD project on the realignment of international taxation with substance and its importance to Greece- presentation at the 10th Athens Tax Forum of the American-Hellenic Chamber of Commerce, Athens, 2014
- Impact of Greek tax developments on the operations of Bulgarian affiliates of Greek companies-presentation at the Hellenic-Bulgarian Business Association Seminar, Sofia, 2014
- The transfer pricing on the spotlight of international tax developments-presentation at the 1st Transfer Pricing Symposium of EY Greece, Athens, 2014
- Transfer Pricing Documentation Workshop, Tirana, 2014
- Panel moderator of the Dispute management and resolution and of the permanent establishment panels at the IIR & IBC 2016 International Tax Congress, London, 2016
- Dr. iuris degree-magna cum laude- International Tax Law, Eberhard Karls University of Tubingen, Germany (1995)
- Post-graduate degree on European Integration, European Institute of the University of Saarland, Germany (1989)
- LLB, Faculty of Law of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece (1988)